One definition of the term, “pop-up” is a component or device that pops up. When pop-ups are inserted into cards they create a surprise inside. This kind of card is very playful and begs to be opened over and over. The pop-up inside today’s card creates a fabulous miniature gift bag that perfectly holds a gift card. I don’t know about you but I find this combination very satisfying! AND my project is featuring a brand new not yet released Designer Series Paper, Daffodil Afternoon. You will be able to earn this paper for free during the Sale-a-Bration promotion beginning in January. Give your eyes a tiny rest from holiday colors and sentiments to feast on some bright flowery paper. Enjoy!
I created a video that not only shows you how to make the pop-up gift bag card, but also a stand alone miniature gift bag and a small gift bag. Both of these gift bags are perfect for giving little gifts. There are lots of variations and flexibility with this pattern so take your time and dive in to this project.
Supplies Needed for Pop-Up Gift Bag (finished size 2-1/2” x 3-1/2”)
- 4” x 9-1/2” patterned paper (DSP)
- 5” linen thread, twine, or thin ribbon (cut 2)
- Tear Tape or Seal+ Adhesive
- Bone folder
Directions for Pop-up Gift Bag
- Decide which side of the 4” x 9-1/2” patterned paper is going to be the outside and which is going to be the inside of the gift bag.
- Score at 1/2”, 1”, 4 1/2”, 5”, 5 1/2”, and 9” along the 9 1/2” side.
- Score at 1/2” and 3” (or 1” from the other side) along the 4” side.
Cardstock Needed for Card Base (choose 1 version)
- 5-1/2” x 8-1/2” scored at 4-1/4” for basic version
- 4-1/4” x 11” scored at 3-1/2” & 7-3/4” for square version
- 4-1/4” x 11” scored at 3-1/2” & 9” for gatefold version
- 5-1/2” x 11” scored at 4-1/4” & 8-1/2” for tri-fold version #1
- 5-1/2” x 11” scored at 3-1/2” & 7-3/4” for tri-fold version #2
Other Optional Pieces
- 4” x 5-1/4” plain copy paper for inside of card
- 1-1/2” x 9-1/2” to create a belly band to secure card base closed
- Small piece of tissue paper (about 4’ x 6”)
Directions for Card Base
- Score card base of choice.
- Determine orientation of card base for your design (landscape or portrait), and where you want the pop-up gift bag to be inserted.
- Attach optional copy paper insert first before adding the pop-up gift bag.
What are you waiting for? Grab some patterned paper and create a miniature gift bag that pops up inside a card and give it to someone special! I’d love to hear about what you are making this month at your house, so leave me a comment! Happy stamping, Robin